Home | Forums | Bible | +Width | Subscribe | Member Login

Tuesday, September 26, 2017   6:45:12 AM  

Welcome to The Omega Letter   Daily Briefings Commentary News Room   Contact OL Site Map How Do I?
Testimonials Prophecy Israel Globalism Terror In Defense Around the World War News Witnessing Perspective Commentary

Omega Letter Member Log In

2 Timothy  4 : 3
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
Read Today's Proverb - Chapter 26

Why Subscribe?
Subscribe Online   Online
Subscribe By Mail   By mail
Contribute
Public Registration

Forum

Zeteo 3:16 with Alf and Alesia Cengia

THE END THE BOOK THE SERIES: J.L. Robb

Ready Reasons - Wendy Wippel

The End The Book Part 6

Faith Soaps and Love

Bible Prophecy News Christian Current Events

Daily Brief Commentary Contributed Help Forums

Omega Letter - Daily Intelligence Briefing Discussion

Vol: 10 Issue: 31 - Thursday, January 31, 2008
Posted By: NickName
1/31/2008 12:11:17 PM

Reverse

Original Daily Intelligence Briefing
6 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 6 PrayingPraying

Member Comments:

Thank you for today's briefing Jack.

I too am accused of being a Calvinist about twice a week, in my own mind!

As far as sinning while STILL being saved, there are a whole slew of verses that indicate such can be true.

I ran across a verse this morning in the very same book of the Bible used by some to convince others that it is impossible to sin WHILE being saved. The ole book of Hebrews.

This verse reassures me that I cannot be a Calvinist:

Hebrews 12:1b-2a "...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith;..."

P.S.
Notice the writer uses the word us.

Reply # 1 - ReplyTo ID: 6652

Posted By: joebubbit -
Date: 1/31/2008 1:17:29 PM
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 5 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Hi Jack,
Just for the record, my response to Eph 2:8 was not an inference of you being a Calvinist...

John Calvin was a role model for the interpretation of "tolerance" today. He was tolerant only of folks who agreed with him. He had folks banished, jailed, and killed who did not agree with his theology. He had Michael Servetus burned alive for being anti Trinitarian.

“Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?” James 3:11

"Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them" Mat 7:20

CALVIN’S STATEMENTS SUPPORTING PERSECUTION

Prefatory Address in his Institutes to Francis, King of the French, 1536. “But when I perceived that the fury of certain bad men had risen to such a height in your realm, that there was no place in it for sound doctrine, I thought it might be of service if I were in the same work both to give instruction to my countrymen, and also lay before your Majesty a Confession, from which you may learn what the doctrine is that so inflames the rage of those madmen who are this day, with fire and sword, troubling your kingdom. For I fear not to declare, that what I have here given may be regarded as a summary of the very doctrine which, they vociferate, ought to be punished with confiscation, exile, imprisonment, and flames, as well as exterminated by land and sea. … This, I allow, is a fearful punishment which God sends on the earth; but if the wickedness of men so deserves, why do we strive to oppose the just vengeance of God?”

Letter to William Farel, February 13, 1546. “If he [Servetus] comes [to Geneva], I shall never let him go out alive if my authority has weight.”

Letter to the Lord Protector of Somerset, adviser to King Edward VI, October 22, 1548. “[They] well deserve to be repressed by the sword which is committed to you, seeing that they attack not the King only, but God who has seated him upon the throne, and has entrusted to you the protection as well of His person as of His majesty.”

Letter of August 20, 1553, one week after Servetus arrest. “I hope that Servetus will be condemned to death.”

Defense of Orthodox Faith against the Prodigious Errors of the Spaniard Michael Servetus, published in early 1554. "Whoever shall now contend that it is unjust to put heretics and blasphemers to death will knowingly and willingly incur their very guilt. This is not laid down on human authority; it is God who speaks and prescribes a perpetual rule for his Church. It is not in vain that he banishes all those human affections which soften our hearts; that he commands paternal love and all the benevolent feelings between brothers, relations, and friends to cease; in a word, that he almost deprives men of their nature in order that nothing may hinder their holy zeal. Why is so implacable a severity exacted but that we may know that God is defrauded of his honour, unless the piety that is due to him be preferred to all human duties, and that when his glory is to be asserted, humanity must be almost obliterated from our memories?…. Many people have accused me of such ferocious cruelty that I would like to kill again the man I have destroyed. Not only am I indifferent to their comments, but I rejoice in the fact that they spit in my face.”

Preface to Commentaries, July 22, 1557. “To these irreligious characters. and despisers of the heavenly doctrine…. I think that there is scarcely any of the weapons which are forged in the workshop of Satan, which has not been employed by them in order to obtain their object. And at length matters had come to such a state, that an end could be put to their machinations in no other way than cutting them off by an ignominious death; which was indeed a painful and pitiable spectacle to me. They no doubt deserved the severest punishment, but I always rather desired that they might live in prosperity, and continue safe and untouched; which would have been the case had they not been altogether incorrigible, and obstinately refused to listen to wholesome admonition.”

Comments on Ex. 22:20, Lev. 24:16, Deut. 13:5-15, 17:2-5. “Moreover, God Himself has explicitly instructed us to kill heretics, to smite with the sword any city that abandons the worship of the true faith revealed by Him.”

Letter to the Marquis Paet, chamberlain to the King of Navarre, 1561. “Honour, glory, and riches shall be the reward of your pains; but above all, do not fail to rid the country of those scoundrels [Anabaptists and others], who stir up the people to revolt against us. Such monsters should be exterminated, as I have exterminated Michael Servetus the Spaniard.”

Reply # 2 - ReplyTo ID: 6653

Posted By: Marian -
Date: 1/31/2008 7:56:55 PM
8 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Jesus Christ the Son of God, came to earth, lived a sinless life, and gave his life upon the Cross of Calvary, As He suffered He took upon himself every sin that was ever committed by all of mankind for all time, and as He died and His blood was shed, every sin, every transgression of all mankind for all time was all paid for. He took upon himself all the shame, all the pain. all the grief and sorrow, all the fear, all the judgement, for all sin ever committed by all mankind for all time and as he suffered and died it was all paid for. All who call upon Jesus Christ shall be saved, even to those who repent to The Father in Jesus Name shall be saved, for Jesus Christ has a Name above all Names of all mankind, Jesus Christ who has the greatest love of all.

Reply # 3 - ReplyTo ID: 6654

Posted By: BeckyHunter -
Date: 1/31/2008 10:29:42 PM
8 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Many christians use I John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" as a verse for witnessing to the unsaved. But, it's for christians, for people who are already saved. We are commanded to confess our sins. So, if we are spiritually able to overcome our sinful nature after salvation, then there is no need to ever confess our sins because we don't have any sins to confess.

Back up to vs. 7 "....the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son cleanseth us from all sin." Christians' failures (sins) are under the cleansing power of the shed blood of Christ. Past, present and future sins.

Down to vs. 10 "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." But, we must admit our sins and not deny them.

The Bible college I attended shoved Calvinism down our throats every single day. I only went for one year. I couldn't take anymore! We did go out witnessing door to door one day a week. But, we were to seek out ONLY the Elect. If a door was slammed in our faces, that meant they weren't one of God's elect. What a load of hog wash!

Becky

Reply # 4 - ReplyTo ID: 6655

Posted By: joebubbit -
Date: 1/31/2008 11:16:46 PM
4 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Good discernment Becky. It is the scourge of seminaries(cemeteries) today.

Fortunately, it didn't stop William Carey in the 18th century.

Among Calvinists, evangelism is done IN SPITE OF Calvinism, not because of it. Baptist historian Thomas Armitage wrote: “William Carey’s ‘Inquiry into the Obligations of Christians to use means for the Conversion of the Heathen’ was published in 1792, but found few readers and produced little effect. To most of the Baptists his views were visionary and even wild, in open conflict with God’s sovereignty. At a meeting of ministers, where the senior Ryland presided, Carey proposed that at the next meeting they discuss the duty of attempting to spread the Gospel amongst the heathen. … Ryland, shocked, sprang to his feet and ordered Carey to sit down, saying: ‘When God pleases to convert the heathen, he will do it without your aid or mine!’”