Home | Forums | Bible | +Width | Subscribe | Member Login

Monday, June 18, 2018   9:04:31 PM  

Welcome to The Omega Letter   Daily Briefings Commentary News Room   Contact OL Site Map How Do I?
Testimonials Prophecy Israel Globalism Terror In Defense Around the World War News Witnessing Perspective Commentary

Omega Letter Member Log In

2 Chronicles  7 : 14
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Read Today's Proverb - Chapter 18

Why Subscribe?
Subscribe Online   Online
Subscribe By Mail   By mail
Contribute
Public Registration

Forum

Zeteo 3:16 with Alf and Alesia Cengia

THE END THE BOOK THE SERIES: J.L. Robb

The End The Book Part 6

Bible Prophecy News Christian Current Events

Daily Brief Commentary Contributed Help Forums

Omega Letter - Daily Intelligence Briefing Discussion

Vol: 118 Issue: 16 - Saturday, July 16, 2011
Posted By: Christian_Geek
7/16/2011 2:20:59 PM

Reverse

Original Daily Intelligence Briefing
9 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Member Comments:
I happen to believe in an "old earth" creation model. The problem lies in the traditional English translations of Genesis. The word translated "day" is "yom." Ancient Hebrew has a relatively small vocabulary with words taking different meaning depending on context. I could say "the day man landed on the moon" and you'd think of a particular 24-hour period sometime in history. Or I could say "In this day and age...." and the timeframe becomes more ambiguous. I believe the 6 "days" of creation were not literal 24 hour days. They were simply 6 long time periods each with a definite beginning and end. "Evening and morning" could also easily be translated "beginning and end." I believe that is not taking anything out of context. And if you think about it, "God rested on the seventh day..." there is no "evening and morning" description of the seventh day. So, technically, we are still in the seventh day." Just another interpretation that can't be conclusively proved. So it is pointless to argue over. But I believe God has given man the intelligence to observe and measure the heavens. Despite what some scientists speculate about the "whys" of the Universe, I think they may actually be correct about the "hows." I believe the Universe really is about 14 billion years old and the sun is about 5 billion years old and the Earth a little over 3.5 billion years old. Besides, since man was created on day 6, why should it matter whether the first 5 were 120 hours or 3.5 billion years? I, for one am excited to know I will be able to be face to face with the creator Himself and ask Him all of these kinds of questions. I can't wait for God's "Discovery Channel."
Reply # 1 - ReplyTo ID: 14578

Posted By: WarrenBowdoin -
Date: 7/16/2011 3:51:18 PM
8 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Comments:

It's funny Jack.  I know what nothing is.

During my mid teen years I was depressed, the only thing that kept me from suicide was my belief that "it has to get better than this".  Hind sight has proven that 1) it does get better and 2) that i had zero reason to be depressed others had it much worse than i did.

in any case... during one very lonely day i was thinking about my faith.  I've always believed in God, unlike demons though, i didn't tremble, not then anyway.  but i was laying on my bed doing the nobody-loves-me routine when out loud i asked a question : "what if there is no God?"  as an answer a cold chill ran up my spine and i felt an intense nothingness inky blackness. it actually scared me but it answered my question.  if there is no God, then nothing, no existence, no light.

Like John said :

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.   All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.  In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Reply # 2 - ReplyTo ID: 14579

Posted By: Danielle Patton -
Date: 7/16/2011 5:13:18 PM
7 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Comments: Idots
Reply # 3 - ReplyTo ID: 14581

Posted By: DanDapper -
Date: 7/16/2011 10:14:42 PM
7 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Comments:

"I know what nothing is......"
 I also "know" nothing well, Warren. It is why I cling to Jesus and His Word.

"In him was life; and the life was the light of men."

AMEN!!!!!

Reply # 4 - ReplyTo ID: 14583

Posted By: LindaM -
Date: 7/17/2011 1:27:00 AM
7 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 8 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Thanks for being honest, Warren, in your sharing. 

I've felt that darkness also...only it was very cold, too, and scary.   If darkness is real/can be felt/experienced, certainly so can the light be felt/experienced.  Those of us "in Christ" have tastes of it ("taste and see that the LORD is good" - indeed!) as often as it happens.  His being "the Light of the world", and having spoken light into existence is raw power on display. 

Your points on the age of the earth/length of time it took for Creation as we know it, blessed me,  Christian_Geek.  Deep thinkers are a true blessing to provoke more deep thinking in others - thank you!  However "long" it took The LORD to do all of the creating will truly be an exciting thing to know - however and whenever He deems to inform us.  Until then, we keep "looking up" to see His Face when He comes for us - Maranatha!

And, Jack - thank you for once again reminding us that no matter how smart people think they are, God's Word always has it straight up, and HE gets the last Word!  Continued grace and peace to you!

Reply # 5 - ReplyTo ID: 14584

Posted By: J.A.F. -
Date: 7/17/2011 10:23:48 AM
9 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Since there is no way of knowing is it deep thinking or False science based on preconcieved notions?

I will trust God and his holy word not to decieve us in such a fashion.

1 Tmothy 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane [and] vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

Compare genesis 2:4 to "The day we landed on the moon" analogy.

Gen 2:4 These [are] the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

God does use day in that sence but it is different than the creation week. As the analogy below.

This is what happened the day we landed on the moon; the first day we prepared and entered the rocket, the second day we launched into orbit, the third day we orbited the moon and the fourth day we landed on the moon.

Day could not be used for the same terms in the bible nor in the analogies

Reply # 6 - ReplyTo ID: 14589

Posted By: SteveRichard -
Date: 7/19/2011 12:11:57 AM
6 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Hi,

This was in my inbox today...

Has the Big Bang Gone Bust?

Hebrews 11:3 "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear." As our knowledge about the universe grows, the big bang theory looks increasingly unlikely. Deep space X-ray observations in 1990, along with other observations, showed that the universe is "lumpy." These "lumps" – such as huge structures like quasars and galactic clusters – already existed early in its history. This contradicts one of the primary so-called "proofs" for the big bang: the background microwave radiation. This radiation seems to be smooth and even, so there shouldn't be any "lumps."
To solve this problem, big bang believers invented "cold dark matter." Cold dark matter is sort of an invisible genie. The gravity of this invisible stuff is supposed to have transformed the smooth, even big bang into the lumpy universe we see today. Now several eminent scientists have rejected the cold dark matter theory. The authors of the latest report on the subject had been some of the strongest supporters of the big bang theory. Jeremiah Ostriker, chairman of the astrophysics department at Princeton, told a reporter, "This would be like a conference of theologians saying there is no God." Ostriker calls himself an "agnostic" on how to make the big bang theory work.
Robert Wilson, co-recipient of the 1978 Nobel Prize for his work on the big bang, said, "I don't know how many people actually would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that cold dark matter existed, but this sort of closes off that avenue."
If these men would take the Bible's message for what it is, God's message to them, they could forget the big bang theory and thank their Creator for His forgiving love in Jesus Christ.