Home | Forums | Bible | +Width | Subscribe | Member Login

Tuesday, November 21, 2017   6:55:43 AM  

Welcome to The Omega Letter   Daily Briefings Commentary News Room   Contact OL Site Map How Do I?
Testimonials Prophecy Israel Globalism Terror In Defense Around the World War News Witnessing Perspective Commentary

Omega Letter Member Log In

2 Thessalonians  2 : 4
Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
Read Today's Proverb - Chapter 21

Why Subscribe?
Subscribe Online   Online
Subscribe By Mail   By mail
Contribute
Public Registration

Forum

Zeteo 3:16 with Alf and Alesia Cengia

THE END THE BOOK THE SERIES: J.L. Robb

Ready Reasons - Wendy Wippel

The End The Book Part 6

Faith Soaps and Love

Bible Prophecy News Christian Current Events

Daily Brief Commentary Contributed Help Forums

Omega Letter - Commentary Discussion

The 'Church of Christ' in the Last Days
Posted By: LarryCockerham
12/30/2013 11:07:05 AM

Reverse

Original Commentary Link
9 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 4 PrayingPraying

Member Comments:
Hi Pete,

I've been a pastor in Southern Baptist churches for over 32 years and have struggled with this same problem. Most of the pastors coming out of our seminaries have very little interest in eschatology. Amillennialism seems to be the predominant teaching. Will this ever change? I doubt it. It can be upsetting, but it is the price we pay as watchman on the wall to speak the truth. Keep looking up! -- Pastor Larry Cockerham (Pastor of East Fork Baptist Church and author/editor/owner of ProphecyForum.com). P.S. Excellent Article.
Reply # 1 - ReplyTo ID: 10672

Posted By: Carolee -
Date: 12/30/2013 11:47:05 AM
7 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 4 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Just for the record . . . my home church was an Independant Baptist and was totally autonomous and would in this day and age be considered comparable to Calvary Chapels in its teaching.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine,   for reproof,   for correction,  for instruction in righteousness:
2 Timothy 3:16
Your reference to . ..

"All we have left is ah-millennialism."
"We are neither passionately radical nor invigoratingly hopeful."

were a stark reminder of Jesus' warning words in Revelation 3:15-16!!!

Reply # 2 - ReplyTo ID: 10673

Posted By: NicoleBoedeker -
Date: 12/30/2013 12:38:52 PM
10 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 4 PrayingPraying

Comments:

You know, Pete, I was chatting with Kari a short while ago and told her that when I read your commentaries, it is almost like I'm reading Jack again. You are very similar in style and content to his. What a blessing it is! Thanks for stepping up with the others contributors and continuing to write the commentaries!

P.S. I go to an Evangelical Free church here in Austin and it is autonomous as well and does not answer to a national, or even state, governing body. Just the church members and the board/elders.

Reply # 3 - ReplyTo ID: 10674

Posted By: Anton -
Date: 12/30/2013 1:43:43 PM
6 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 5 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Excellent Pete!

Anton.

Reply # 4 - ReplyTo ID: 10675

Posted By: TomLaMendola -
Date: 12/30/2013 8:38:11 PM
6 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Comments:

I live on Long Island in New York.  I have had my ups and downs with my walk with the Lord and about 6 years ago came home as a prodical son.  Throughout out my walk I have always been drawn to prophecy since I read Hal's Late Great Planet Earth when I was a yound Christian.  They last 6 years has been an incredible journey and the Lord has blessed me with tremendous insight.  I had been attending a Church of God but left after many years because after sitting with my Pastor who I knew for over 20 years and discussing the lack of prohetic teaching and preaching nothing changed.  I have attended a few other churches and I can't find any in my area who will preach on these topics.  Political correctness has infected these churches.   In fact, the Church of God I recently left had given Rick Warren's book on the Emergent church as required reading to all new deacons and elders.  If it weren't for the OL family and books and tapes I would have no exposure to Eschotology.  At times I feel so isolated and it does get to me at times.  Maranatha

Reply # 5 - ReplyTo ID: 10676

Posted By: pete -
Date: 12/30/2013 10:29:05 PM

Comments:

Tom, I feel ya brother. Been in a church who avoids prophecy like the plague, but God has used even that. If I were in a church who fed me all that good teaching, I probably wouldn't have needed the OL.

Reply # 6 - ReplyTo ID: 10677

Posted By: BobbyeKay -
Date: 12/30/2013 10:36:03 PM
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 3 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Oh, Tom.  I feel isolated also.  But, I have come to count it a priviledge and blessing to be 'in the know' according to God's Word.  I know that the knowledge I have gleened over the years since first reading Hal's LGPE has truly been God given.  But for OL 'family', I would truly feel like a stranger in this 'foreign land' called, The World!

Reply # 7 - ReplyTo ID: 10689

Posted By: Phyllis -
Date: 1/6/2014 1:00:10 PM
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 5 PrayingPraying

Comments: Mr. Garcia, my mother's extended family are Church of Christ and have been since the 1940's or even earlier. An uncle was even a pastor for many years. I didn't realize that they were amillennialists and that interests me, but what I am interested in is your opinion about their treatment of the Holy Spirit. I have read some articles that say they are really close to committing blasphemy of The Holy Spirit in that they do not believe the Holy Spirit has much, if any, part in our coming to Christ. Members are only indwelt at the time of baptism, and must maintain their salvation by good works. If I am in error in this, I would appreciate finding out what you do think. I know that from church to church the doctrine does vary, but on the whole, is this what they believe?

Thank you for your great articles, our family members look forward to all your new ones.....
Reply # 8 - ReplyTo ID: 10690

Date: 1/6/2014 11:59:47 PM
7 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 4 PrayingPraying

Comments:

I think in the past they strongly held to "baptismal regeneration" which is to say that thru their obedience to be baptized, they receive the Holy Spirit.  When pressed, church of Christ members today will say that it's not the water but the obedience.  I've met as many who didn't believe this as do believe it, so it's a mixed bag, although this view seems to be dying off.  I think its a misreading of Acts and other books that lead them into this faulty view, although, it's really the heart of the person God judges, or their intent rather than ignorance of getting the process of salvation in the wrong order intellectually.  Hope this helps. Look at the individual rather than the denomination when it comes to there matters. They still hold to the basic orthodox positions of true Christianity. I just chose the one area that they mostly all have in common.

Reply # 9 - ReplyTo ID: 10696

Posted By: DonEudaly -
Date: 1/7/2014 4:23:49 PM

Comments: I am a 57 year old life long member of the Church of Christ, and enjoyed your article immensely, mainly because I felt like I could have written it. It is a frustration of mine that the people I worship with (good folks, by the way) have no interest in eschatology. It's not that they are amillenial as much as they simply don't know anything about any of it. As an attorney, I read and interpret contracts every day. The plain meaning of the words is the standard, and the same should be the standard in the biblical text, whether speaking of prophecy or otherwise. Unless the language is CLEARLY figurative, a literal interpretation should be given, and I believe this includes much of the apocalyptic writing that people are so scared of. I remember, as a boy, the older folks almost whispering the word 'premillenial' as if it were not to be brought up. What a shame! That is changing, and I'm glad.

Reply # 10 - ReplyTo ID: 10697

Posted By: DonEudaly -
Date: 1/7/2014 4:57:24 PM
9 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 5 PrayingPraying

Comments:

By the way, I, too wonder how many members of the Churches of Christ actually read the Omega Letter.  Here's one who does, and really enjoys your ministry.  As Tom stated, I need the contact with others who are actually interested in this.  LGPE did it for me, also, in the 70's. 

Reply # 11 - ReplyTo ID: 10702

Date: 1/7/2014 9:46:22 PM
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 3 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Thanks Don, I hope this will reach some and let the truth shine a little on why their not being taught the prophetic word, esp in our day as late as it is.