Home | Forums | Bible | +Width | Subscribe | Member Login

Friday, May 25, 2018   8:33:36 AM  

Welcome to The Omega Letter   Daily Briefings Commentary News Room   Contact OL Site Map How Do I?
Testimonials Prophecy Israel Globalism Terror In Defense Around the World War News Witnessing Perspective Commentary

Omega Letter Member Log In

Revelation  17 : 9
And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.
Read Today's Proverb - Chapter 25

Why Subscribe?
Subscribe Online   Online
Subscribe By Mail   By mail
Contribute
Public Registration

Forum

Zeteo 3:16 with Alf and Alesia Cengia

THE END THE BOOK THE SERIES: J.L. Robb

The End The Book Part 6

Bible Prophecy News Christian Current Events

Daily Brief Commentary Contributed Help Forums

Omega Letter - Commentary Discussion

Slip-Sliding Away
Posted By: Carolee
4/1/2014 11:41:52 AM

Reverse

Original Commentary Link
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Member Comments:

Wendy . . . you never cease to amaze me with your vast knowledge . . . this of which is another example!!! However . . . one thing you said . . .

"And it's really the question of that precipitous drop (recorded consistently in ancient records, after a global flood that followed ten long-lived kings) that is the interesting part of the story. Because if all ancient histories record that drop, it must have actually occurred. And if it actually occurred, it has to have a scientific explanation."

had me puzzled based on Methuselah who only lived 969 years not thousands. Then it hit me . . . we say he was the longest living man ever but God's Word only says how many years he lived . . . not that he was the longest living ever!!!

Not only do you share fascinating information you also give us something to think about that we had always automatically taken as fact in the process!!!

Reply # 1 - ReplyTo ID: 10997

Posted By: BeckyD -
Date: 4/1/2014 11:42:46 AM
2 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 4 PrayingPraying

Comments: Wendy, what do you suppose the water canopy made the world look like?
Reply # 2 - ReplyTo ID: 10998

Posted By: Kerry -
Date: 4/1/2014 12:57:39 PM
4 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 6 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Excellent Wendy! I just love your scientific articles. Keep 'em coming!

Reply # 3 - ReplyTo ID: 10999

Posted By: Leslie -
Date: 4/1/2014 2:01:01 PM
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 4 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Another excellent article, Wendy. Good point about Methuselah, Carolee.

Reply # 4 - ReplyTo ID: 11000

Posted By: WendyWippel -
Date: 4/1/2014 2:14:51 PM
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 6 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Hi, Carolee. and thanks but i think I unintentionally misled you!  I do absolutely believe that Methuselah was the longest-lived individual in history, as the Bible gives us the lifespans of the earliest people and he is the longest one.. The King lists from other cultures give longer lifespans than normal now, but much longer than the Biblical record.  Actually, at least for the Sumerian King list, there appears to have been a consistent error in transforming the Biblical list into Sumerian, but in general where the figures differ from Scripture I think the others are simply exaggerated. I just meant that since all of the ancient lists report much longer life spans  than normal that indicates that those reports are most likely true. And if they are true, there has to be a scientific explanation.

I think the cool thing is that with Methuselah being the longest lifespan God is making a statement: Methuselah means "with this death it comes", meaning the judgment prophesied by Enoch. Enoch named his son Methuselah (with his death it will come), and since Enoch is recorded as preaching about the coming judgment, ostensibly everyone knew that Methuselah's name was a reminder.  And God held off 969 years, a confirmation of the fact that He is merciful, not wanting any to perish.

Anyway, sorry about the misunderstanding.

Reply # 5 - ReplyTo ID: 11001

Posted By: FrankButler -
Date: 4/1/2014 9:42:11 PM
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 5 PrayingPraying

Comments: Thanks again for another excellent article. You are truly gifted at explaining science in an easily understood manner and how it relates to God's word.
Reply # 6 - ReplyTo ID: 11004

Posted By: Greg S/CG -
Date: 4/2/2014 10:45:41 AM
6 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 7 PrayingPraying

Comments: I think my Telomere caps are just about worn off, At 55 I feel a few are even missing

Another lesson on Science and scripture running in parallel. Thanks for this one Wendy, Im going to share it.

CG