Home | Forums | Bible | +Width | Subscribe | Member Login

Sunday, March 18, 2018   12:02:14 AM  
 Welcome to The Omega Letter   Daily Briefings Commentary News Room   Contact OL Site Map How Do I?
Testimonials Prophecy Israel Globalism Terror In Defense Around the World War News Witnessing Perspective Commentary

Omega Letter Member Log In
Revelation  1 : 11
Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
Read Today's Proverb - Chapter 18
Why Subscribe?
Subscribe Online   Online
Subscribe By Mail   By mail
Public Registration

Zeteo 3:16 with Alf and Alesia Cengia

Ready Reasons - Wendy Wippel

The End The Book Part 6

Bible Prophecy News Christian Current Events

Daily Brief Commentary Contributed Help Forums

Omega Letter - Commentary Discussion

Fatal Attraction
Posted By: PaulLaymon
1/26/2016 9:34:59 AM

Original Commentary Link
19 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 2 PrayingPraying

Member Comments:

My kids are 20, 23, 25, & 27. They were raised in a Nazarene church without all of the bells and whistles. Well actually at Christmas and Easter, there were bells.

All 4 of them left the church upon leaving high school. All 4 of them have attempted a return. None of them has found a congregation where the gospel is presented in a manner that seems right to them.

To make it clear that my children struggle in this world and do not always live life the way Christ laid out and their parents instructed, I'll let you know they've had, at least, the following issues: 2 out-of-wedlock pregnancies, more than a couple of jail sentences, one drunk driving, wrecking dad's car (several times), marijuana use, shoplifting, lying, and for one of them, listening to country music.

But on the occasions when a couple of them have bottomed out and there's nothing left except the firm foundation, I've watched them stand up, fix their gaze (at least for a moment), and seek a new and better path than the dark one that they were on.

But when they go to church, I get the following reports or comments:

The preacher said they collected $850K last week but they needed $1.5M.
I'm not going to listen to a man preach to me that lives in a castle when Jesus sent His out without anything and they wanted for nothing.
When I find a man living by humble means, preaching from the Bible, then I will be a part of that group.
The people are spoiled, blind, self-consumed, lemmings. They do nothing and will believe anything.
I would like to go but if I wanted to hear that kind of music, I could just go to a club the night before.

Reply # 1 - ReplyTo ID: 13307

Posted By: Unknown -
Date: 1/26/2016 5:40:01 PM
11 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Comments: I would have jumped...right out of my pew! I would have been VERY uncomfortable had I heard any Van Halen music playing and most likely would have excused myself from the service. It just seems inappropriate to play that kind of music in a church, a sanctuary, where we gather (Hebrews 10:25) to honor and worship our Lord, the God of creation, just to attract a secular audience. We are to remain "a peculiar people" separated from those things which do not honor God so I would hope that, as a church body, we would look forward to hymns and music that honors Him. As always, Wendy, a great article!
Reply # 2 - ReplyTo ID: 13308

Posted By: Corin Keiler-Lloyd -
Date: 1/26/2016 8:18:09 PM
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 1 PrayingPraying

Comments: Just talking about this with my prayer triplet. We think God is going to break up the megachurches. The good ones will fund smaller churches through conviction. God will divide the spoils for the others.
Reply # 3 - ReplyTo ID: 13309

Posted By: TrudyBooker -
Date: 1/26/2016 9:09:34 PM
6 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Great commentary Wendy!!!

We attend an extremely small Southern Baptist Church. Preaching from the word of God and old time gospel music.  That's the way we like to honor our Lord Jesus Christ!

Reply # 4 - ReplyTo ID: 13310

Posted By: MichaelMerola -
Date: 1/26/2016 9:28:09 PM
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 1 PrayingPraying

Comments: This article and the comments have articulated virtually every reason why me and mine are not able to find a legimate church, no matter how hard we try. It seems we can't find a church that isn't either American Idol(pun intended) or a morgue. Come to think of it, they are both dead. Please, can we go home now?
Reply # 5 - ReplyTo ID: 13311

Posted By: PamelaSwisher -
Date: 1/27/2016 12:38:52 AM
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

What I see lacking in those seeker-friendly churches (and many others) is conviction of sin. We are so comfortable in our pews. Why seek God in tears because we are people of unclean lips and there is a holy God before us?

Reply # 6 - ReplyTo ID: 13312

Posted By: BobbyeKay -
Date: 1/27/2016 10:40:50 AM
6 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 1 PrayingPraying

Comments: Great article Wendy! I thank God for you, and the wisdom and knowledge He has graced you with for our benefit.
At 65 .... having been actively either Southern Baptist from childhood thru my 30's, or then United Methodist thru my 50's ... I am now peacefully Un-Churched. The hipocracy and politics finally erked me. I now have more quality time with The Master Whom I live to please and serve, using me as He directs, not as a church committee desires. I am living free In Christ, and awaiting The Shout!!
Reply # 7 - ReplyTo ID: 13313

Posted By: WendyWippel -
Date: 1/27/2016 2:42:00 PM
4 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

I love you guys.... I never thought about it as awaiting the shout, but o, boy am I ready.  It is just so sad to watch this happening!!  The problem is that even our ministers and teachers at this point tend to be biblically illiterate and what we are seeing, clearly, is the result of that. 

I agree, Michael.  Can we please just go home now??!!!!

In the words of spongebob.. I'm ready, I'mready....I;m ready....

But till then, we go therefore...

Reply # 8 - ReplyTo ID: 13314

Posted By: ShelleyB -
Date: 1/27/2016 2:42:06 PM
3 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

It would be better, in my opinion, if He broke up the megachurches via the Rapture! Maranatha!

Reply # 9 - ReplyTo ID: 13315

Posted By: WendyWippel -
Date: 1/27/2016 2:57:01 PM
4 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Paul-- that 's why I love the verse that says when they are OLD they won't depart from it.  We have seen the same thing with our daughters, albeit on a much smaller scale. both went away to school,  seemed to lose interest, but are both solidly back now. 

Which I guess has to happen-- they have to test it out when there is no one telling them what they need to do, and when they come back because they do want to it's for real.

Reply # 10 - ReplyTo ID: 13317

Posted By: Sara -
Date: 1/28/2016 1:26:12 PM
5 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Great article Wendy! I have been to churches like that....horrible! I have to say that I attend a biblical mega church with hymns and beautiful worship and convicting, loving, gospel oriented sermons. The pastor doesnt entertain or tell jokes. He does alot of exhorting. But with all of that there are problems, as in any church, no matter the size.

My sister (and many others), who struggles to even believe has gone back to our Lutheran roots and wanting a more "high liturgical" service. The trouble is that the only churches that offer this are the liberal ones. Her pastor (I say that lightly) He is married to a man, openly. She loves him. Too bad that the mega evangelical churches cannot offer, biblical liturgy, every once in a while. She dislikes the band in worship....i agree...The bottom line though, is when you know the Lord, and He knows you, worship is something we do on a daily basis, not just once a week. So if the church music is biblical, I can worship.

Bringing in secular tunes that bring back my partying days is not acceptable at all.