Home | Forums | Bible | +Width | Subscribe | Member Login

Thursday, November 23, 2017   9:25:21 AM  

Welcome to The Omega Letter   Daily Briefings Commentary News Room   Contact OL Site Map How Do I?
Testimonials Prophecy Israel Globalism Terror In Defense Around the World War News Witnessing Perspective Commentary

Omega Letter Member Log In

2 Thessalonians  2 : 4
Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
Read Today's Proverb - Chapter 23

Why Subscribe?
Subscribe Online   Online
Subscribe By Mail   By mail
Contribute
Public Registration

Forum

Zeteo 3:16 with Alf and Alesia Cengia

THE END THE BOOK THE SERIES: J.L. Robb

Ready Reasons - Wendy Wippel

The End The Book Part 6

Faith Soaps and Love

Bible Prophecy News Christian Current Events

Daily Brief Commentary Contributed Help Forums

Omega Letter - Commentary Discussion

Prayer Changes Things
Posted By: HarryPaul
8/4/2017 10:26:08 AM

Reverse

Original Commentary Link
4 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Member Comments:
Spot on Alf.
Harry
Reply # 1 - ReplyTo ID: 14480

Posted By: Gracemer -
Date: 8/4/2017 11:43:08 AM
3 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 3 PrayingPraying

Comments: I didn't finish the Gurnall link before I felt like a complete loser in the prayer department. Looks like I need to pray about my prayer deficiencies. When I try to put fire into prayer I end up babbling and wondering who am I to tell God His business. Except for requests concerning loved ones and those who ask for prayer, I don't really know if what I'm praying about is good so I find myself praying the Lord's prayer, requesting that His will be done. It's the only way I have any confidence. Anyhow, I know this is a great article because I feel so inadequate.
Reply # 2 - ReplyTo ID: 14481

Posted By: Anton -
Date: 8/4/2017 2:23:21 PM
3 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Comments:

Excellent and Amen,Alf.God's will be done.The fervent(heartfelt) prayer of a righteous man avails much!Grace, you are not alone.

Anton.

Reply # 3 - ReplyTo ID: 14482

Posted By: Michael -
Date: 8/4/2017 3:44:35 PM
1 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 2 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Gracemer -

A few mornings ago, my wife said:

"You were up for hours last night.  Couldn't you sleep?"

I replied:

"When I couldn't sleep, I spent about 90 minutes in prayer.  I kept telling GOD about all the events going on that have me upset."

"Well, did GOD thank you for filling Him in on all the world's problems?  At what point did He say, Hey thanks, I had no idea!"

"..."

We seem to have this  - or similar - conversations often.

I've battled depression and anxiety since I was a toddler.  I don't seem to be making much headway.  You're not alone in feeling that you're a loser in the prayer department.  I have miles to go before I sleep...

Reply # 4 - ReplyTo ID: 14483

Posted By: MichaelMerola -
Date: 8/4/2017 8:58:48 PM
3 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 2 PrayingPraying

Comments: Michael, from one Michael to another I completely understand your feelings. I will pray for you and I ask that you pray for me back. Deal?
Reply # 5 - ReplyTo ID: 14484

Posted By: Phrank -
Date: 8/4/2017 11:40:39 PM
9 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Comments:

Absolutely right,  The prayers of the righteous avails much and we are righteous by faith in Christ.

I think many people struggle with prayer, I certainly do.  In order for a runner to compete, they have to train and practice. The same holds true about prayer. Without practice and a bit of tenacity at it, it feels like fits and starts in prayer.   I'm no authority on the proper way to pray, but can offer a few things that have helped my prayer life, maybe it could be of some help. These are of course not the only things.

- Remember that who you are talking to loves you by virtue of the fact that you are a believer in Jesus and one of His own.  Do you have kids?  when they were young and could not express themselves well yet, you listened in a loving way when they poured out their heart to you?  Does God love you any less?

- Practice. Our prayers are a sweet aroma to Him who loves us, when they come in truth and genuine love for Him. As a work in progress, the Holy Spirit is working in each of us to be what we are being lead to be to His glory.  We have to rely on Him to give us the prayers, so we cannot boast or brag of our own acumen or ability to talk to our God.

- Trust. We are in a dynamic, ever growing relationship with God (it is us that is doing the growing of course) who hears our prayers and acts on them when they are according to His will, often times in interesting ways.   When we pray for someone or some situation or something, not hoping that if we ask enough times, that God will do it out of annoyance.  Paul wrote that he prayed about his "Thorn in the flesh" three times, that doesn't sound like every night to me.   That also doesn’t mean I don’t pray for my family and loved ones every day, but it does mean that once we have prayed for it, it’s in God's hands, the rest is up to Him and we have to trust that He knows better.  

Learning to Listen.  Have you ever had some scripture verse pop into your head while you are praying?  Of course! That is indeed our God talking to you, He already said it once and it made it into scripture, but the memory of it coming to mind is for your benefit.  Just because it is not a deep thunderous voice inside your head does not mean it didn’t come from the Father. Scripture writes that it is a still small voice.

God and I both want my prayer life to improve, it will and does when I get out of the way.